booklove

booklove
"The best children's stories are wisdom dipped in art and words." -Peter Reynolds

Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars is a realistic fiction text and was written by John Green. It was published in 2012 by The Penguin Group.  This story is a modern love story about a sixteen year old girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster who falls in love with a handsome boy named Augustus Waters in cancer group at a local church. But what sets this romantic, teenage love story apart from the others is that both of them are suffering from cancer. Readers watch as a romance unfolds between the two teens on their trip to Amsterdam to see Hazel's favorite author. But all the while Hazel has to struggle to breathe with her oxygen tank and ever-filling lungs of fluid while Gus struggles with his prosthetic leg. Can these two love birds survive as a teenage couple independent of their health issues? Or will their cancer come between them? The final outcome will surprise you and leave you heartbroken, yet hopeful.

I am having a hard time reviewing this book because it left me with no words. I absolutely loved it. It is beautiful. Heartbreaking. Hilarious. Relatable. Honest. And still, nothing I can say will do this book enough justice. I do not know much, if anything, about cancer but Green's story taught me so much about the sickness and what people suffering have to go through. This is my first "cancer book" so I cannot compare it to others but it absolutely blew me away.

The characters are extremely relatable, realistic, and well-developed. They seem so real that I could easy run into Hazel Lancaster or Augustus Waters on the street. The plot is very diverse and realistic yet keeps you on your feet. I found myself laughing at Green's sarcastic dialogue yet crying over the realism. I definitely recommend this book to young adults but make sure you have a box of tissues handy.

The movie is coming out this summer 2014 and the previews seem promising. I will see the movie because I can't refuse the film adaptation of a book I have read but nothing will ever compare to the book. Especially this book!

1 comment:

  1. Our book club should go see this movie together! :-)

    ReplyDelete